Tuesday, January 8, 2008

List Maintenance

When I started this project, I knew one of my biggest problems was maintenance of the list.

With 101 things, updating the list on any sort of regular basis was going to be a nightmare. I'd spend more time on the list than I would doing things on it! That seemed counter-intuitive to me.

So I dusted off what little programming skill I have, and wrote up a PHP script, with a database backend. I had to learn some AJAX/JavaScript stuff as well.

The script is pretty simple. Color coding if things are coming due, edit the list on the fly, as well as the totals.
If the script is called without a specific maintenance function, it just displays as you see on the right.

Here's a link to a sandbox/test script - here.

If there's any actual interest, I'll make the script available.

And to see the output of the script - here

No comments: